6 posts tagged Maternity fashion
It’s Maternity Passport week at zulily, where we’re featuring maternity brands from various countries around the world. Motherhood is a universally cherished experience, but each country has its own unique customs to celebrating the arrival of a new baby. We’ve taken a look at some of these customs from countries featured during Maternity Passport week all this week.
France: In France it is not customary to have a baby shower before the baby is born. The French prefer to shower a new mom with gifts after the baby is born, often times waiting until the first birthday to celebrate and give gifts to both the mother and baby.
Turkey: In Turkey, mothers stay at home for the first 20 days after the birth. During this time, friends drop by and drink a special beverage called lohusa serbeti. Once 20 days pass, the mother and child make return visits to gift-givers’ homes, where they are given a handkerchief filled with a single egg (signifying a healthy baby) and candy (representing a good-natured baby).
They also rub flour on the baby’s eyebrows and hairline, which is supposed to grant him a long life.
New Zealand: Pregnancy is a very special time in Maori culture. It is believed that both mom & Baby should remain relaxed and calm throughout pregnancy because the baby is fully aware of its surroundings and stresses.
Singapore: Many people believe that it is unlucky to throw a baby shower before the baby is born. Parties are often held up to 100 days after the baby is born. Mothers also turn to natural medicine such as strong herbal teas to ease the pain of labor and help purify themselves while pregnant. As in a lot of cultures, it is believed that the baby is very sensitive to external forces.
Sweden: An interesting invention called ‘Breast Warmers’ are popular in Sweden. Described as a cross between a baby elephant’s ear and a shoulder pad, the breast warmer is meant to be placed into a bra to hold in body heat. Swedes believe that nursing mothers should keep their breasts warm to increase milk flow and prevent blocked ducts.
According to our resident maternity fashion expert Robin Otto, “Pregnancy is the perfect time to explore your style.” In the spirit of our Maternity Fashion Week kicking off today, we took a look at some of the celebs with the best pregnancy style.
From rocker Gwen Stefani’s edgy attire to Princess Kate’s timeless charm, moms-to-be everywhere will find inspiration for their own personal look from these always well-dressed ladies.
Here are zulily’s top 10 Stylish Pregnant Celebrities:
- Kate Middleton: She was as stylish as ever during her pregnancy, making maternity fashion a huge buzz around the world.
- Heidi Klum: We loved all the fabulous looks Heidi wore during her pregnancies. Of course being a supermodel is an added bonus to making maternity fashion look effortless.
- Olivia Wilde: Actress Olivia Wilde looks as chic as ever with her pregnant style and we love that she is never afraid to show off her bump.
- Reese Witherspoon: The beautiful Southern belle always looked sweet and elegant throughout her three pregnancies. We loved her sense of style and how she was never afraid to wear color.
- Ciara: Singer Ciara does a great job of balancing fitted items with larger overcoats and cardigans to maintain a modern, polished look.
- Jessica Alba: Known for a modified maternity style, Jessica preferred elegant and timeless looks to spandex and loud prints.
- Kourtney Kardashian: Kourtney’s usual effortless bohemian chic style was executed perfectly throughout her pregnancy, even with the non-stop presence of camera crews.
- Kate Hudson: We love that Kate maintained her free spirited fashion sense during her pregnancy.
- Gwen Stefani: This rocker was able to remain edgy and cool while pregnant. We love that she wears true maternity wear, like HATCH maternity, and not regular clothes a few sizes up.
- Halle Berry: Whether Halle was rocking a baldhead or a baby bump, she constantly radiated beauty while carrying.
So how did all of these pregnant stars remain looking runway ready? Robin tells us that, “Despite having drastically different styles, all of these fashionable moms were able to encompass a few key styling tips while dressing for maternity.”
Here are her top tips for expecting mothers to follow:
- Explore your Style: You have an excuse to build a new wardrobe that you will continue to wear three to six months after the baby. Try exploring new concepts, such as a tunic and leggings or a form-fitting top with a maxi skirt.
- Try Color: When you’re pregnant, there is nothing better than to show off your new glow that pops of color so work with your skin tone to find colors that suit you. Corals and tones of purple look best on all skin tones.
- Show off your Assets: V-necks, or other low necklines, are flattering on expecting mothers. They can also help you feel sexier in your skin if you feel like you’re swimming in baggy maternity wear. Also, don’t be afraid to draw attention to your most fabulous asset, the baby bump! Confidence in your new body is the best accessory to flaunt.
Hear from zulily’s maternity fashion expert Robin Otto on some great maternity looks for the season.
Cute Outfit Ideas During Pregnancy — powered by ehow
Have a Holiday Party to attend and need to find that perfect maternity look? Hear from zulily’s maternity expert Robin Otto on the best winter dresses for maternity.
Pretty Winter Dress Styles for Pregnant Women — powered by ehow
It’s getting chilly outside. Hear from zulily’s Maternity Fashion Expert, Robin Otto, on the best jackets to wear all winter and pregnancy long!
When it comes to getting parents the inside scoop on all things pregnancy and baby, there’s no resource quite like The Bump! The Bump keeps savvy parents in the know using stage-by-stage advice, innovative ideas, local resources and a knowledgeable online community. We partnered with the folks behind The Bump to get their top picks for soon-to-be mommies in a special, curated collection. Taking into consideration both fashion and function, they’ve selected their top five fabulous looks certain to flatter baby bumps and help moms maintain a smart and sophisticated sense of style. The rest of From The Bump: Maternity Picks, are available until Sunday 9/23.
Ingrid & Isabel Black Silk Tie Maternity Sleeveless Top
"This silk maternity top is a must-have because you’ll look super chic (and totally comfortable) no matter where you’re headed. Add a pop of color with a statement necklace."
Ingrid & Isabel Black Shirred Maternity Pencil Skirt
"Maternity skirts never looked so good! The snug fit of this pencil skirt will flatter your bump. It’s super easy to either play up your shape by tucking a blouse into the skirt, or adding a loose, flowy top to cover up."
Isabella Oliver Wine Grace Maternity Maxi Dress
"Don’t pack away your maxis because the cool weather is on its way. We love this maxi because you can add a chic cropped maternity blazer and booties for a fab fall look. Add a simple belt at the waist to give you shape."
Isabella Oliver Khaki Una Maternity Shirt Dress
"We LOVE this piece because you can dress it up for the office (with heels and a maternity blazer) or dress it down for lunch with the girls with flats and a cardigan. The breathable fabric will make you feel fabulous — and the tie-waist will stretch with you (score!)."
Soon Maternity Marine Audrey Under-Belly Maternity Skinny Pants
"Colored denim is a definitely a maternity do. Pair these skinnies with a cute kitten heel and a silk blouse for the office — or swap flats and a comfy sweater for a weekend getaway."
Shop these great looks and many more in our cool and classic collection From The Bump: Maternity Picks. And don’t forget to tell us which pieces you love most from this fashionable, bump-friendly assortment!