10 Easy Holiday Mocktails for Kids
Everyone’s hyped for the holidays, especially the kids. Delightful and delicious, “mocktails” — a non-alcoholic mix of juices, mixers and other drink blends — are perfect for letting kids enjoy the holiday season just like adults, with their very own special fancy drinks. Start a new family tradition by mixing up these 10 easy holiday mocktails for kids, that will put smiles on their faces and that even the “kid in you” will love.
A mocktail’s pleasant taste, refreshing flavors and appealing presentation make it a huge hit with children, teens and even adults. As a parent, there are so many reasons to treat your kids to these fun non-alcoholic cocktails and join in the fun of a party, especially during the holidays. You can also tweak mocktail recipes to make the drinks more suitable and healthier for children. So take out your cocktail shaker or blender or and whip up one or more of these 10 easy, refreshing and delicious mocktails for a real holiday hit for kids.
1. Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Mocktail
This little libation has the perfect mix of fresh and frozen strawberries, creating a smooth, creamy texture that doesn’t separate as it melts. This means you can take your time with each delicious sip.
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender.
- Test the consistency. If it’s too thick, add 1/4 cup water. Blend then test again.
- Test the flavour. Add a little extra sweetener or lime to taste.
- Blend again and serve garnished with fresh strawberries and lime.
2. Pina Colada Mocktail
There is just something about the combination of pineapple and coconut that can’t be beat, so this is a mocktail close to my heart. It reminds me of my wonderful vacations in Puerto Rico.
1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup coconut cream
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, garnish with a pineapple wedge and serve immediately.
3. Peppermint White Hot Chocolate Mocktail
You’ll only need four ingredients, so it’s easy on the wallet.
1/2 cup your choice of milk (I personally love almond milk)
One candy cane
50 grams white chocolate
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract – this is optional
- Place milk, white chocolate and peppermint extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Stir until the white chocolate dissolves completely.
- Remove from heat and serve.
4. Christmas Punch Mocktail
Like other mocktails, this holiday punch is ideal for kids, pregnant mamas and anyone else not drinking alcohol. This drink gets an extra “zing” from ginger ale and sparkling apple juice or cider. It also has a mixture of high-quality juices and fresh fruits of your choice.
1/4 cup cranberry juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup sparkling apple cider or juice
1/4 cup ginger ale
- Mix cranberry, orange and pineapple juice in a large jug.
- Add sparkling apple juice/cider and ginger ale and mix gently.
- When you’re ready to serve, add ice and fruit of your choice to garnish.
5. Raspberry Mocktail
I love this raspberry beverage and its combo of sweet berries, fresh mint and lime.
One lime, quartered
4 – 8 mint leaves
Sweetener of choice
- Place raspberries, lime, mint and sweetener (if using) into a glass.
- Muddle together for about 1 minute to release the juice from the lime and raspberries, and the flavor from the mint. If you don’t have a muddler, the back of a wooden spoon or a soup spoon works well.
- Top with sparkling water and stir gently.
- Add ice and garnish.
6. Cranberry Mocktail
Combine low-sugar cranberry juice, ice and your choice of sparkling beverage to make your own.
1/2 cup low-sugar cranberry juice
1/2 cup sparkling drink (soda pop, soda water, etc.) of your choice
You can even use non-alcoholic sparkling wine for the sparkling drink – it tastes divine.
- Fill a glass with crushed ice. If you don’t have crushed ice place some whole ice cubes into a zip lock bag or similar and crush.
- Full the glass approximately half way with cranberry juice.
- Slowly top with sparkling beverage of your choice.
- Garnish and serve immediately.
7. Mimosa Mocktail
A mimosa is a classic cocktail typically made with champagne and citrus juice, usually orange juice. (Some people use lemon or lime juice). The alcoholic version is usually served with brunch, or even breakfast. Looking for an easy mimosa mocktail? You’ve found it. This classic non-alcoholic mimosa is simple and delicious.
1/2 cup orange juice, chilled
1/2 cup non-alcoholic sparkling wine, citrus sparkling water, or ginger ale, chilled
- Combine all the ingredients in a champagne glass and garnish with an orange wedge.
8. Sunrise Mocktail
The drink is named after its appearance, with the red- to light-orange gradient thought to resemble a sunrise. My mocktail version features a tasty combination of orange juice, your choice of non-alcoholic sparkling wine, and grenadine.
Non-alcoholic sparkling wine or sparkling water
1/2 teaspoon Grenadine
Raspberries (or any other fruit of choice) for garnish
- Add equal amounts orange juice and non-alcoholic sparkling wine (or alternative) to a champagne flute.
- Gently pour in the grenadine.
- Garnish with Raspberries or your choice of fruit and serve.
9. Easy Chocolate Mocktail
What kid doesn’t love a chocolate drink? They’ll especially love this one that looks fancy enough to be a mocktail worthy of a holiday celebration. You only need three ingredients to create this delicious chocolate mocktail at home.
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons condensed milk
Optional: melted chocolate for rim of glass
- Blend all ingredients together until combined.
- Pour into glass.
10. Margarita Mocktail Frozen or Chilled
With a beautiful combination of fresh juices and low-sugar sparkling water, this mocktail is a much healthier option than an alcoholic margarita and it tastes just as good as the real thing.
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup grapefruit juice
1/2 cup lime sparkling water
Sweetener of choice
Salt (or sugar)
Lime (for garnish)
- Blend all ingredients (except the sugar/salt for rim) in a high speed blender.
Serve in a rimmed margarita glass and garnish with a lime wheel.
How to Make a Virgin Margarita
Chilled: For a chilled virgin margarita, place juices and sweetener (if using) in a small jug or cocktail shaker and mix well to dissolve the sweetener. Pour the mixture into a margarita glass rimmed with salt or sugar and top the drink with lime sparkling water. Garnish with a lime wheel.
Frozen: Place juices and sweetener (if using) in a small jug or cocktail shaker and mix well. Freeze mixture into ice cubes. Place ice cubes and lime sparkling water into a blender and blend well. Pour into a margarita glass rimmed with salt or sugar and garnish with a lime wheel.
All these mocktails can be enjoyed all year long. But these non-alcoholic drinks are particularly good for the holidays, when adults and children mix more often at social gatherings.
Two of my favorite warm-weather mocktails are this virgin Pina Colada Slushie and this Refreshing Watermelon Lemonade. In fact, just add a sparkling soda of choice, and you can turn just about any juice drink into a mouthwatering cocktail, suitable for a birthday party, pool party, or any social occasion for kids.
But during the holidays, while adults have their favorite alcoholic beverages to quaff, kids can have these mocktails in hand to wait for Santa on Christmas Eve, or toast the New Year in.
You’ve got the confetti, the noisemakers, the family and friends around, now just add these intensely flavorful 10 easy holiday mocktails for kids to the mix and you’ve created one fun and festive party!