9 Spookily Easy Halloween Treats for Kids
It’s nearing the time of year when witches and warlocks come out of the shadows and excited kids (like mine) hit the streets for annual trick-or-treating. Our school has canceled the Halloween parade; I hope the trick-or-treating won’t be too, like in some communities. Everyone knows Halloween and candy go together like PB&J, but before your mini ghosts and goblins load up on sugar, give them some spooktacular Halloween treats for kids to fill up on first.
By Janine Clements, 21st Century Mama
Whether you want to wow young guests with festive party food or you’re keeping it small and celebrating as a family, check out these top crowd-pleasing edible delights for kids of all ages (and parents too). This list includes banana ghosts, fish stick mummies, and wriggling worm ice cubes. Best of all, they’re easy and quick to make.
Healthy Halloween Treats for Kids
Banana Ghosts and Pumpkin Tangerines
For healthy Halloween food for kids, these fun banana ghosts and pumpkin tangerines are ideal, and you can whip them up in an instant.
- 4 bananas
- 8 tangerines
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Chop the bananas in half and put the flat side down
- Add mini choc chips for the eyes and bigger ones for the mouth
- Peel the tangerines
- Add a small piece of celery to the top of each pumpkin
Make sure your kids get their five-a-day even on Halloween with this scary jack-o’-lantern. Made from carrots, black raisins and cucumber, it’s the perfect healthy Halloween treat for kids.
- 2lb mini carrots
- Line a platter with carrots for the face
- Make holes and add black raisins for the eyes, nose, and mouth
- Use the end of a cucumber for the stalk.
Fruity Ghost Kabobs
You need marshmallows, fruit such as strawberries and grapes, a black food coloring pen, and skewers for these scarily simple and scarily tasty Halloween treats for kids.
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 1lb grapes, strawberries, or melon cubes
- Black food coloring pen
- Use the food coloring pen to draw a spooky face on each marshmallow
- Stick one on each skewer along with a few pieces of the fruit.
Savory Halloween Treats for Kids
Creepy Crawly Sandwiches
There are plenty more worms on the menu this Halloween. These creepy Halloween treats for kids will make them shudder.
- 8 hotdogs
- 8 buns
- Barbecue sauce
- Cut each hotdog lengthwise into 6
- Fry them until they curl up
- Put them in the buns and add barbecue sauce.
Frightening Fish Stick Mummies
Fish stick mummies are the tastiest Halloween treats for toddlers. All you need are a box of fish sticks, cheese slices, and mustard for the scariest mummies on the block.
- 1 box of fish sticks
- Cheese slices
- Bake the fish sticks in the oven.
- When done, take them out and layer over thin strips of cheese.
- Dot on some mustard to make the eyes and you’re done!
Ghost Pizza Bagels
For Halloween treats for kids that your little monsters will go crazy for, serve up delicious bagels made with mozzarella slices, marinara sauce, and capers.
- 8 bagels (mini or regular)
- 1 packet of mozzarella slices
- Marinara sauce
- Slice bagels in half
- Spread marinara sauce over the top
- Using a ghost-shaped cookie cutter to cut out shapes in the mozzarella
- Place on top of each bagel
- Bake until cheese melts (about 10 minutes)
- Add capers for the eyes
- Makes 16
Snacking Halloween Treats for Kids
Ghoulish Marshmallow Ghosts
Making these super easy, kid-friendly Halloween treats is a fun activity to do with your crew.
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- Food coloring pens.
- Put the marshmallows on skewers (or popsicle sticks if you have little ones and you are worried about the sharp ends)
- Use food coloring pens (or edible eyeballs) to make the faces.
All you need for these wicked Halloween snacks for kids are Oreos for the body, pretzel sticks for the legs, candy corn for the teeth, and a packet of edible eyeballs.
- 1 packet of Oreos,
- 1 bag of pretzel sticks
- Candy corn
- Edible eyeballs
- Chop the pretzel sticks in half and stick four halves into the Oreo filling to make the legs
- Cut the white tops off the candy corn and stick them into the filling to make the teeth
- Stick edible eyeballs onto the top of the Oreos.
Fun Halloween Treats for Kids
Wriggling Worm Ice Cubes
- 1 bag of gummy worms
- Water or juice
- Stick a gummy worm in each square of an ice tray
- Fill it with water or juice and freeze.
Head over to 21stCenturyMama where you’ll find another easy and delicious edible treat for kids.