Great Gifts That Start With Books
Author Neil Gaiman once said, “Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it’s much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” We agree.
Discover how to create great gifts that start with books. Learn our top ten reasons books make great gifts. And find out how you can spread holiday joy with our Penguin Random House Buy One, Give One book donation partnership.
The key to a great book-and gift is picturing its recipient. Are you shopping for a child or an adult? An avid reader or a reluctant reader? An aspiring writer or scientist? Take that information, and then use it to create your perfect gift.
Here are some great book-and combinations:
- For reluctant young readers: A book about a favorite animal, vehicle or activity AND a related plush or classic toy. (Get more reading tips plus download free bookmarks here.)
- For students & scholars: A book about a favorite subject AND noise-canceling headphones or a reading lamp
- For teens & tweens: A fantasy or sci-fi novel AND a set of LED string lights or novelty lights.
- For avid readers & book collectors: A classic or award-winning novel AND bookends or cozy reading socks
- For book club pals: A fresh best-seller AND a novelty wine glass or coffee mug
- For home chefs: A cookbook AND some fun kitchen towels or a cloth napkin set
- For adult family members or a friend group: Send the same book to everyone AND a handmade bookmark that’s an invitation to connect at an online book chat in early 2021
- For more festive gift inspirations to pair with books, head to our Holidays Shop.
Top Ten Reasons Books Make Great Gifts
- Books are easy to wrap.
- Books don’t require assembly or batteries.
- You can personalize a book with an inscription.
- Books are always in style.
- Books store easily and take up less space than big plastic toys.
- Books are full of exciting and challenging ideas.
- Books last longer than cookies.
- There’s a book out there for everyone
- Books are great companions on rainy days.
- Books can be shared.
Spread Reading Joy
Your can create great gifts that start with books and support a great cause. Penguin Random House is partnering with Zulily to help provide books for children in need. During this fall’s Buy One, Give One campaign (October 29 – December 10, 2020), every book purchased from a Zulily Buy One, Give One special sale event will trigger a new book donation, up to 75,000 books, from Penguin Random House to the educational nonprofit First Book.
Create a Christmas Library.
Collect your family’s favorite holiday picture books, story collections and novels in one place for sharing. Then, carve out bookshelf space for this special collection and add a few festive decorations. Plan a family trip (or virtual trip) to your local library to look for new holiday stories to enjoy.