Make it a Tasty New Year: Ideas and Recipes for New Year’s Eve Appetizers
By Maria Healey, MariaHealey.com
The holiday season is officially upon us. Whether you’ll be hosting and entertaining for two or twenty, I’ve rounded up some of the best New Year’s Eve snacks and appetizers to share with friends and family. To make things even easier, dips and shareables are quick appetizers ideal for a crowd. Individual snacks will require a little more preparation, but they look beautiful on the table. Dessert options are fun to make with the kids too! These easy New Year’s Eve appetizers will be an instant crowd favorite, so the biggest decision will be up to you – which NYE appetizers will you serve this year?
Dips and Shareable New Year’s appetizers perfect for a crowd
Expecting a crowd for the holiday festivities? Consider making a variety of easy New Year’s Eve appetizers that won’t take much time to prep and don’t require a ton of ingredients to make. Here are some of my all-time favorites for serving a crowd, and a recipe to follow:
- Spinach Dip – this classic dip can be found in the grocery store refrigerated section or you can pick up a starter packet of dry seasoning mix, fresh or frozen spinach, mayo and sour cream. I like to finish my spinach dip with a little extra dill sprinkled on top! Serve it inside a hollowed-out sourdough bread bowl or with Hawaiian sweet rolls, and don’t forget the fresh veggies for dipping on the side!
- Crab Rangoon Dip – all the creaminess of the center of a crab rangoon takes center stage in this hot appetizer featuring wonton strips for dipping. Prep this ahead of time by mixing all ingredients in a baking dish or cast-iron skillet and then pop it in the oven, before guests arrive, to warm through and create a crispy cheese topping perfect for dipping.
- Charcuterie board – putting together the perfect cheese plate is an art. Use a variety of meats and cheeses, olives, spreads, and dry fruits to complement each other. Some must haves include brie, blue cheese, prosciutto, and honeycomb to spread on a slice of French baguette.
- Party meatballs – this is the ultimate easy New Year’s Eve appetizer! Prep meatballs, grape jelly, and chili sauce in a slow cooker before guests arrive and give it a stir before serving to mix all the flavors. Leave toothpicks or a serving spoon available for guests to serve themselves.
- Shrimp cocktail – this is another easy NYE appetizer to pick up at the store and simply rearrange on a nice serving dish for guests.
Hot Turkey Sliders
These mini sandwiches are a crowd favorite that can be prepped ahead of time and then baked and cut before guests arrive.
- 1 package Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 8 oz. sliced turkey
- 8 oz. cooked bacon, chopped
- 8 oz. shredded swiss & gruyere cheese mixture
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Remove the rolls from the packaging and using a bread knife, slice the whole piece to split into a top and bottom
- Spread mayo on the bottom slice and lay in a greased baking dish to continue assembly
- On top of mayo, add a layer of turkey slices and top with bacon
- Add tomato slices in a single layer and add swiss and gruyere cheese and a sprinkling of parmesan
- Place top roll on top and set aside
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, add onion and cook for just a minute or two
- Whisk in brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder until brown sugar is dissolved
- Pour butter mixture over the top of the sandwiches, making sure to evenly distribute
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight
- Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven, remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes
- Slice and serve hot
Individual New Year’s snacks
These snacks are also popular appetizers for a somewhat smaller crowd as they might require a little more prep work ahead of time. Here are some bite sized favorites and a recipe you don’t want to miss:
- Potstickers – these can be baked in the oven from a frozen or refrigerated package. Serve with a side of sweet chili sauce or soy sauce for dipping.
- Caprese bites – the refreshing taste of caprese salad in a bite-sized portion. Simply skewer cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella pearls, and a slice of fresh basil then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Mini quiche – this is another quick New Year’s appetizer if you can find an assortment of mini quiches in your grocer’s frozen foods aisle. Simply heat and serve on a pretty platter and guests will think you made them from scratch.
- Deviled eggs – while these can be time-consuming to prep ahead of time, they’re certainly worth the time and effort. Use a standard recipe or get creative by adding something new like bacon, jalapenos, or cheese.
These bite-sized snacks are a sweet and savory treat that everyone will enjoy. They can be prepped ahead of time and then baked in the oven before guests arrive.
- 1 package dates
- 1 jar green olives, with pimento
- 1 package bacon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Slice bacon in half to turn each long strip into two pieces
- Slice dates open and remove pit
- Insert green olive into the middle of the date
- Wrap one ½ strip of bacon around the date and fasten in place securely with a toothpick
- Place dates on a parchment-lined baking sheet, evenly spread and not touching
- Drizzle maple syrup over the bacon-wrapped dates and either refrigerate until ready to bake, or
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until bacon is crisp
- Serve hot
Sweet New Year’s Eve snacks
No New Year’s Eve celebration is complete without something sweet to enjoy! Champagne is plentiful on NYE so why not use it in some fun desserts? Here are some of my favorite desserts for New Year’s Eve and a recipe too:
- Champagne gummies – these fizzy gummies can be purchased or made at home with a little candy-making knowledge and some specialty gummy molds. These are also great for making ahead of time and sending home as a party favor.
- Champagne cupcakes – give your vanilla cupcakes a new flavor by adding champagne to the cake batter and frosting! Top with crystallized sugar for a royally sweet treat.
This easy New Year’s Eve dessert is something you can make the day before and pull out when everyone is ready for dessert, or just leave it out for snacking on throughout the party.
- 2 sleeve clubhouse crackers
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 12 oz. package chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lay a single layer of crackers until pan is full
- Combine butter and brown sugar in saucepan over medium-high heat until melted
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat
- Pour over crackers and spread evenly
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove and pour package of chocolate chips on top
- Place back in oven for 2 minutes, remove and use a spoon to spread chocolate evenly to all edges
- Allow toffee to cool overnight
- Break into bite-sized pieces for serving
And now you’re ready to host a New Year’s Eve party of your own! With so many easy and delicious options to choose from, you can’t go wrong! Your party is guaranteed to be a hit with these New Year’s Eve snacks!