Your Family Will Love These Pop Culture Halloween Costume Ideas for 2022
Every year, as parents prepare for Halloween festivities and trick-or-treat nights, there are many things to think about: decorations, candy buying, pumpkin carving and visits to the pumpkin patch. Tick one more thing off your to-do list with our annual guide to top trending family Halloween costume ideas for 2022. Whether you’re on the bleeding edge of pop culture or trotting out a beloved classic, we’re here to help plan your family’s (and your kid’s) Halloween looks inspired by popular television shows and movies.
As you get ready for the evening, make sure you also prepare for safe trick-or-treating for you and your children. Have fun, but remember that on Halloween night, like all others: safety comes first!
Fun Ideas for Matching Family Halloween Costumes
Clever matchy-matchy family costumes are the way to go when the whole family is going out together. These costumes inspired by popular TV shows, movies, comics or books will add extra inspiration for your trick or treating or Halloween party looks.
Wear This Year’s Trending Hits, Halloween Costume Style
- Dress your entire family as a different Spider-Man from the various multiverses, like in the recent movie.
- Channel your inner Eleven. Stranger Things Halloween costumes are gonna “slay ‘em dead” this year. Dress everyone up as their favorite character from Hawkins, even if someone wants to go as a Demogorgon.
- Come on Barbie, let’s go party. With the Barbie movie coming up, there’s never been a better time to dress the whole family in Barbiecore hot pink as Ken and Barbie.
- Honor your favorite Squid Games characters by dressing up in red or green jumpsuits.
- Grab everyone denim overalls and a yellow T-shirt. Minions: The Rise Of Gru has the entire world dressing like Minions, why not your family too? (Your teens may even trick or treat dressed in suits as so many “Gentleminions” wore to the movie this summer.)
- Who can resist a family of inflatable T-rexes? A battery-operated fan inflates the costume so you can walk around in a cloud for the night.
- Grab some aviators, leather jackets, denim jeans, and Hawaiian shirts and dress like your favorite Top Gun: Maverick character.
- Dress the whole gang as elves from Lord Of The Rings: Rings of Power.
- Witches are, of course, All Hallows’ Eve costume classics, but this year, get your costume inspiration from the new Hocus Pocus 2. Dress the family as the Sanderson “sistahs”. Layer long sleeves and skirts or dresses in the sisters’ signature styles: Mary in maroon, yellow and plaid; Sarah in red and purple; and Winifred in green and purple.
Strangers Things costume idea: Everyone picks their favorite character from Hawkins.
Trusty pop culture costume ideas worth putting on repeat
- The Incredibles to the rescue! The perfect family costume is one where everyone gets to be a superhero.
- Or, go for Thor. Or The Avengers. Or She Hulk. Or any of your favorite Marvel or DC Comics superheroes.
- Your whole family will be happy in Disney-themed Halloween costumes like the feelings from Inside Out, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, or an entire family of Buzz Lightyears.
- Meet The Flintstones. Whether you’re a Wilma Flintstone or a Betty Rubble, the gang from Bedrock makes a great costume for families.
- Go, go Power Rangers! Pick a different color for each member of your family.
- Star Wars costume ideas are endless. You could be a family of Stormtroopers or Baby Yodas—or the whole cast of characters, like Darth Vader, Padme Amidala, Luke and Leia.
- You fit so well together! Pick a different color LEGO® costume for everyone.
Popular Kids Halloween Costumes for 2022
Not doing the family Halloween costume thing this year? Halloween creates an opportunity for kids to become their very own favorite characters or spooky creatures by putting on a new outfit. Whether they’re all about the trick-or-treating or more interested in spooky stories, a playful costume can help your kids celebrate the holiday in comfort and style. Get inspired with these easy, right-out-of-the-package Halloween costumes for kids.
From Moana to Rapunzel, the Disney princess Halloween costume (a crown is a must!) is still a classic that can make any child feel like royalty for a night of trick-or-treating—or longer since kids love to wear these long after Halloween). Similarly, Disney-themed costumes from Encanto, Frozen, Minnie Mouse and Hocus Pocus are easy costumes for your little ones.
Marvel superheroes like Ms. Marvel, Mighty Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther will also reign supreme this year.
Outfit your little gamer in a cool character set from their favorite games like Minecraft, Sonic The Hedgehog or Super Mario Bros.
Which Hogwarts house is your kid in? Outfit your little sorcerer with an enchanting costume designed to instantly transport them to the grounds of Hogwarts in a Harry Potter character costume.
Pro tip: When choosing a costume for your child (and yourself), choose items that are well-fitting. While having a costume that is cute is important, not at the cost of your child getting injured in the process. Avoid costumes that are too big, baggy or drag across the ground. These can create tripping hazards. Ensure the shoes your child is wearing are comfortable and easy to walk in.
Top Baby Halloween Costumes for 2022
Your, baby’s first Halloween costume (and probably second) Halloween calls for a cuddly and cute costume that’s easy for them to wiggle around in and warm enough for a night out. (Plus, you can find almost any of the above-mentioned costumes in baby size now, too!) If you’re going trick or treating, you can even deck out their stroller in Halloween décor. Some of our favorites:
- Bat (bonus points for Batman or Batwoman!)
- Disney Princess Rapunzel (there’s something about that long hair on an infant)
- Pea pod
- The Wild Thing from Where the Wild Things Are
- Baby Yoda
- Lady bug
- Cookie Monster
Pro tip: enjoy this brief period of time, before kids develop preferences of their own, when you can dress them up as whatever you want.