The Ultimate Guide to the Best Essential Oils for Glowing Skin
You glow, girl!
Essential oils are popping up everywhere in the media these days. You may have thought this is just another fad, but essential oils have been around for centuries, and they are here to stay. Why? One reason is because they have seriously great benefits for healthy, glowing skin. Whether you are looking to diminish wrinkles or treat acne, there is an essential oil solution out there for you and your beauty routine.
Because there is such a plethora of oils that are good for skin on the market, it can be a bit intimidating if you are just starting out. As a beauty blogger, I did a little bit of trial and error the first time I tried out essential oils on my skin, but once I figured out what was best for my needs, I started seeing results right away.
Whether you are a beginner or want to expand your existing essential oils collection, this list will help you decipher which are the best essential oils for your skin based on your particular needs.
What are essential oils?
Let’s start with the most basic question – what exactly are essential oils? Essential oils are concentrated liquids that are extracted from a particular plant or naturally occurring entity. In layman’s terms, it’s the most important (essential) things from every plant concentrated into a super-strong solution.
Essential oils can be used for a variety of issues, from weight loss and physical ailments to stress reduction and even menopause relief.
Each essential oil is different, and should be incorporated into your beauty routine in specific ways. Whether they are applied directly to the skin, ingested, inhaled or added to a DIY face mask (see below) – be sure to determine which method is best for that particular type of oil. Otherwise, if used incorrectly, there’s a chance you may experience some negative side effects. (If you’ve ever seen the Netflix documentary “(Un)Well” you will know what I’m talking about.)
Read on to learn about some helpful ways to add essential oils to your beauty and wellness regimen. Be sure to test your skin in an inconspicuous area to ensure you don’t have a strong reaction to any undiluted or diluted oils.
Please note: Be sure to consult your physician before introducing any new essential oils into your routine and if you experience any adverse reactions. The recommendations made here are suggestions, not medical advice
Best Essential Oils for Skin Issues
Acne is the most common skin problem and it can be tough to combat. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne is a problem that affects up to 50 million Americans annually. Acne-prone skin requires a delicate balance between removing excess oils and not completely drying out the skin. For this reason, it may seem counterproductive to apply any kind of oil to your skin, but surprisingly this is not the case. Here are a few of the best essential oils to use on acne-prone skin:
- Tea Tree Oil: If you struggle with acne of any kind, tea tree oil is your best friend. Derived from the leaves of a tea tree, this essential oil has proven to diminish visible breakouts. Many skincare products available today contain small amounts of tea tree oil and carrier oils, but it can also be applied directly to the skin in its purest form to problem areas.
- Cinnamon Oil: Cinnamon oil has strong anti-inflammatory effects. For this reason, it’s a great solution to calm the inflammation caused by breakouts. Like tea tree oil, cinnamon oil can be applied directly to the skin.
- Rosemary Oil: Many skincare products on the market today contain rosemary oil for its balancing benefits. Rosemary oil will help you achieve the balance between oily and dry skin by toning your skin. When applied directly to the skin, rosemary oil can also prevent future breakouts.
If you have sensitive skin, it can be a bit nerve-wracking to try out new skincare products. You will want to avoid some essential oils that may irritate your skin, like lemon, lemon balm, or lemongrass oil. However, when used correctly, the following are the best essential oils for glowing skin that will not likely irritate.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil is one of the most popular calming essential oils out there. It’s often used for stress relief and relaxation and has great anti-inflammatory effects on your skin, without being too aggressive or dehydrating. With sensitive skin, you will want to dilute any essential oil (or mix it in with another product, such as a lotion or serum) before applying it to the skin, to avoid any negative reactions. When used correctly, lavender oil can also help alleviate skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Sandalwood Oil: Sandalwood oil is very similar to lavender oil as it has calming properties. This fragrant oil should also be diluted or mixed into other products. When used correctly, sandalwood oil can have noticeable anti-inflammatory effects.
Using oil for oily skin may seem a bit baffling, but once you determine the correct types to choose, you will soon find that there are many oils that are actually beneficial for oily skin. The following essential oils can balance out even the oiliest skin types, resulting in a healthy, glowing complexion:
- Geranium Oil: Extracted from the leaves of the geranium plant, this essential oil can have huge benefits for oily skin. It is alkaline in nature, so it’s a great option for gently balancing and toning the skin.
- Rosemary Oil: Rosemary oil has similar benefits to toners but is not as harsh. When applied directly to the skin, rosemary oil balances and tones, resulting in visibly glowing skin.
- Peppermint Oil: Not only does this lively essential oil smell great, but it can help regulate your skin’s oil production. Peppermint oil has an instant soothing effect, and when applied directly to the skin, it can unclog pores and balance natural oils.
- Rose Oil: For anyone concerned about aging skin, fine lines or wrinkles, you will want to add rose oil to your beauty routine ASAP. Rose oil (or rosehip oil) contains high levels of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, which are essential for collagen production, resulting in plumper, smoother skin. This essential oil can encourage the regeneration of cells in your skin, which can make your skin look younger and brighter.
- Jojoba Oil: Moisturizing your skin is one of the best things you can do to fight signs of aging. Jojoba essential oil has SO many benefits, but the most important one is that it is super moisturizing. Jojoba oil has proven to offer noticeable results quickly as it improves the elasticity of the skin, making it an anti-aging superhero.
- Carrot Seed Oil: Like rose oil, carrot seed oil contains large amounts of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, which not only fight the visible signs of aging but can improve your overall complexion. The antioxidant properties of carrot seed oil can also help reduce the appearance of scars.
Whichever essential oils you choose to support your skin’s vitality, be sure to opt for high-quality oils expressly made for direct application. Here’s to your natural beauty!