What is Cloud Bread and How to Make it
Cloud Bread. Named for its fluffy, softness, Cloud Bread is a unique baked creation with elements of pita, biscuits, and rolls, but without flour, yeast, or traditional dough ingredients. Cloud bread is often a staple by those on Keto friendly diets who want to keep their carbohydrate intake as low as possible. However, this baked good is also a wonderful alternative for those who are avoiding gluten. Three key ingredients are all you need to get started!
- 3 eggs – separated
- 3 tablespoons of softened cream cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar
If you are a baker, you can already see where this recipe is going by using cream of tartar. The combination of egg whites and cream of tartar is exactly what is used to make the fluffy peaks in meringue for lemon meringue pie as well as for souffles. It helps keep the egg whites stable and firm.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In the bowl with the yolks, add the cream cheese and mix well.
- Fold (use a spatula to gently lift the mixture up from the bottom of the bowl then cross over the top rather than stirring) half of the egg whites into the yolks until just combined. Add the remaining egg white mixture and fold until incorporated.
- Spoon one heaping tablespoon at a time to create a ½” thick circle onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The paper will help keep the bottoms of the bread from becoming too brown or sticking to the sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Cloud Bread serving ideas:
Slice in half for a traditional sandwich, burger or even a grilled cheese sandwich.
Create mini-pizzas with a Cloud Bread crust.
Try it as a sweet treat, topped with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
Top with honey and enjoy.
Cloud Bread add-in options:
Consider adding a pinch of individual herbs or seasonings for more flavor to the tops of the circles right before baking such as:
- Chopped chives
- Grated garlic
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Sesame seeds
Cloud Bread is not exclusive to Keto diet followers and can easily be tweaked for extra flavor. Try baking some up this weekend – either the simple 3 ingredient recipe or shake things up with some fresh herbs and spices. Tell us about your favorite Cloud Bread creations.