What to Wear: Holiday Party Outfit Ideas
Get ready for holiday party season! You have a lot of parties to dress up for. A lot. But, um, do we even remember how to put together an outfit after years of being out of party practice? Whether the event calls for a casual, semi-formal, cocktail, or festive dress code, here are three holiday party outfits to inspire you to stay cozy, comfortable, and cute at all your holiday parties and Christmas gatherings.
THE Holiday cookie exchange party
It’s likely that your holiday cookie exchange is a casual affair. With a casual dress code, go for polished, but not overdressed. Pull out your nicest casual clothes that make you feel the most you. Let your individuality shine with a few festive touches like a red sweater or sparkly jewelry. Go for a comfortable outfit like this on-trend Sherpa/fleece buffalo plaid zipped pullover with wide leg denim jeans so you can eat tons of cookies and still look chic. Shoes with a pop of color make the outfit.
A Gift Wrap Party
Invite a few friends over for a super casual party to tackle one of the most tedious holiday tasks. Wear something super cozy, comfy and stretchy because you’ll be cutting, stretching, lifting while you’re gift wrapping and laughing the night away. Take your loungewear into holiday mode with mix and match separates. For an on-trend outfit, go for a monochrome look, like this creamy oatmeal style with leggings and a chunky turtleneck sweater.
A Fancy Holiday Party
A couple of years without fancy parties is reason enough to celebrate and add something new to your closet. Make some magical memories with a monochromatic look for your holiday parties. Pair a festive red long sleeve dress with metallic heels and matching jewelry.
Holiday party outfit styling tips
- Go for cozy fabrics like velvet, faux fur, or cashmere for a luxe look that also provides warmth.
- Dress like a present with eye-catching festive details like lace, pom-poms, bows, sequins, or red and white stripes (like a candy cane).
- If you’re more comfortable in an all-black outfit, add a brooch or statement earrings to glam up the look.
- If you know you’ll be spending time outside, layer on a scarf.
- For holiday photos or just a family gathering, if you want to match without being all matchy-matchy, the secret is being strategic with how you put it all together.