Zulily’s Ultimate Guide to the Best Time of Year to Shop for Deals
At Zulily, we know that for the millions of moms we serve as customers, finding the best time to shop is key – and it’s more than just avoiding long lines and empty (virtual) shelves. It’s about the early bird getting the deal. After analyzing a year’s worth of sales data across 50+ categories along with more than 368 million Google key word searches – Zulily created the new Best Time to Shop Report.
This ultimate year-round shopping roadmap will help savvy shoppers looking to score the best deals on trending merchandise for 2022, from daily essentials to must-have items. We then called in the experts and asked 1,000 moms across the country to uncover their tricks of the trade to find the best deals. Zulily’s first ever Best Time to Shop Report is available now for download and shares ongoing tips and deal-saving tricks to help moms throughout the year. To kick things off, here’s your first look with a roundup of red-hot savings and observations for the month of February to banish the winter blues:
Spring Décor Deals Bloom
We are all so over the cold weather and more than ready to spend time on our outdoor patios by the time February rolls around. But it’s not just about pining for the warm weather, beautiful flowers, and bright greenery that will soon be happening outside. Zulily survey data shows that moms see an indoor décor refresh as a form of self-care. Simple acts such as brightening up a room and bringing that outdoorsy feeling into the home can bring moms more joy than doing a face mask (43%), drinking coffee or tea (41%), or even watching their favorite shows or movies (37%).
- 67% of moms say they decorate their home for every single season, with most starting weeks in advance, with nearly one in five moms start decorating months ahead of time.
- 41% of moms say their family thinks they decorate their home too early for a season, saying, “Yes, they think I’m décor obsessed, but that’s OK!”
So, yes, your happiness can be scientifically linked to your decorating habit!
Maximize savings on summer and vacation essentials
Kids aren’t the only ones ready for spring break around this time of year. After spending most of the winter months inside, you’re probably also eager for a sunshine getaway as our report showed some moms will even start shopping two seasons ahead of summer, perhaps to conjure up an early at-home taste of summer vacations.
And even without travel plans, 28% of moms are still looking to spruce up their own summer wardrobe and bring the warmer temps and vacation vibes closer to home. And just in case moms need even more encouragement to treat themselves first – Zulily data shows that what mom buys for herself may inspire her kids’ style too, as 59% of kids say they have raided their parents’ closets for clothing to put their own unique spin on an outfit.
- Moms say their dresses (40%) and flip flops / sandals (31%) could mostly use an upgrade for summer.
- Moms (38%) are most likely to want to go on vacation to spend more quality time with their family / kids.
- When it comes to “beachwear” items moms would consider wearing out anywhere in public other than a cover up, majority (29%) say a beach hat.
- For swimsuit styles, moms mostly prefer a one-piece (28%) and a bikini (25%).
New #OOTD in winter provides a mood-boost for kids
Shopping for summer and vacation essentials in February may also be due to moms prepping for kiddos’ Spring Break, as parents are helping kids “glow up” their wardrobes while gloomy weather looms. A refresh in the form of coverups and swimwear for a future day of sun and surf or bright pops of color from new spring playwear bring a much-needed mood booster – especially for kids:
- 79% of kids say that unique style impacts their feelings by increasing happiness and confidence.
- 57% of kids say wearing new clothes helps them feel more confident.
- 90% of kids said it’s important for them to define their unique personal style to set them apart from their peers.
Check out the colorful, limited-edition Zulily x Sunshine Swing Resort Collection designed by kids, for kids exclusive to Zulily.com for inspiration.
Replenish your beauty collection with high-end favorites
After wearing a mask for the past 18+ months, you are likely beyond ready to pull out your favorite beauty essentials and put your best face forward. Fortunately, spring is a great time to score deals on brow grooming, lipstick, and makeup. In addition, consider re-stocking on beauty products like eyelash accessories, hair extensions, and hair and body mists in November to score the best deals. Our survey showed that:
- 58% of moms say they buy beauty products because they are a small, low-cost way to give themselves an emotional boost.
- 41% of moms say they’re bored of minimal beauty trends (natural makeup, focus on skincare, etc.), saying “Yes, they’re super plain,” while 59% say “No, give me all the glowy skin and cream blush!”
- 30% of moms agree their kids use their makeup more than they do.
- 28% of moms say they’re most likely to experiment with beauty trends in 2022 such as patterned or mismatched nails or structural or statement hair styles (22%).
So, mark your calendars now – with some advance planning, you’ll save money, time, and gain some peace of mind. And stay tuned here for more highlights on The Find by Zulily blog.
Start Your Year of Savings
From interior décor to summer essentials, find deals up to 70% off daily.
Methodology: All data included in this report was based on survey conducted by Pollfish for Zulily with a sample of 1,000 U.S. based moms, ages 18+ in November 2021.